Pages

Beauty | Lifestyle | Health

Tuesday 26 August 2014

Manual cleansers - which is better?

I thought another skincare post was in order - this time it's about "manual" cleansers. I.e. brushes/fibres that clean your skin as opposed to using a cleanser. I have two of these both of which I've been using for several months - one is the Clarisonic Mia 2, the other is the Jane Iredale Cleansing Mitt. I'll give you a breakdown of both and let you know which I find to be better. 


Clarisonic Mia 2 - 

The Clarisonic is one of those things that is definitely an investment item - it's not really something you'd buy lightly with the hopes it'll help your skin. Coming in at £120 from Feelunique it's not an inexpensive item. I got it at 10% off as I selected Clarisonic as my "brand for life" discount brand.

With the Clarisonic you get a little instruction manual, a charger, one brush head and the Clarisonic itself. Naturally I chose the pink shade for myself. The Mia 2 has two speed settings - I tend to just use it on the "normal" setting as opposed to the sensitive one.

Although it says you can get more makeup off with the Clarisonic over a regular cleanser I would be inclined to disagree - I used this as an additional step to my routine and although it did help remove extra makeup I wouldn't use it solely for makeup removaland I still needed to use a cream cleanser with it. The brush head often comes away a bit foundation coloured but if you use it consistently everyday this becomes less noticeable.

That brings me to my next point - it says that it's safe for everyday use, twice a day. I did this for three - four weeks and while initially I did "purge" a little and have more breakouts my skin did clear up significantly. However, over time I started breaking out again when using twice a day even when using it on the gentler setting.

I started only doing it every second night instead and found my skin bounced back. Personally I think this device is too harsh to use everyday. In essence it's exfoliating your skin and too much of a good thing...well, you get the idea. On top of this the brush needs to be replaced every 3 months, which is an additional cost you need to consider when purchasing.

The verdict: Yes, I like my Clarisonic, but would I recommend purchasing it? Probably not. Having found other scrubs like Frank that I prefer/get better results from I don't think the Mia 2 is worth the price tag.


Jane Iredale Cleansing Mitt - 

My mum bought this mitt for me as a surprise about a year ago now. I've had problems with my skin since I was about 18 - before that I barely ever got spots now I have hormonal breakouts on my chin almost all the time. This mitt is designed to help remove extra makeup, much like the Clarisonic, but instead of scrubbing as such it uses tiny fibres (it's a microcloth) to pick up anything left on your skin.

It's very gentle to use, I can and do use it everyday (usually just in the evening) and it doesn't need any cleanser to use it. It's a pretty simple principle, put your hand in the mitt and wipe your face as you would with a conventional facecloth.

To wash it you only need to use a gentle soap. Rub it over the mitt, work it into the fibres and rinse it clean. Let it air dry (that's what the little loop on the end is for) and it's perfect everytime. As you can see they do last the test of time - I've had mine a year and it doesn't need changing/replacing and still cleans as well as it did the day I first got it. It was about $30NZD but you can but it here with free shipping for £17.

The verdict: The mitt is long lasting, reliable, gentle and much more affordable. I'd recommend this over the Clarisonic anyday. Again, it should only be used as an additional step in your regular cleansing routine (I use mine in the shower after I've removed all my makeup) but it will remove dead skin, makeup and excess oil really well without damaging your skin.

Cleansing is so important and I think having the right tools/products really do help. Also, just because it's the "miracle" device that costs a lot doesn't always mean it'll be better.

Hope this has helped some of you!

Claire x
SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

A pipdig Blogger Template