Pages

Beauty | Lifestyle | Health

Sunday 11 January 2015

Weekend Post: Read, Eat, Listen, Do


READ. I'm always reading something and this week I finished reading You Are Here by Thich Nhat Hanh. I've had this book for a while but as it's not a "story" as such it took me a while to get really into it. What with it being a new year and all that I finally sat down in a quiet place in the bush near where I live - it seemed a more fitting location than the lounge. Essentially this book tries to communicate how to effectively reduce stress in your life, deal with your problems and appreciate right now. A lot of people (myself included) seem to always be hanging out for the next weekend or event or party. When you think about it this way, five sevenths of your life you'll be wishing it was a different day. This book also gives you advice on how to control your own mind and emotions rather than ignoring them which again a lot of people have a tendency to do. The breathing technique discussed in You Are Here is actually fantastic - it calms your mind totally as your entire focus is exclusively on your breath. I have a tendency to hyperventilate and the practice has helped with that - it's also great for when I'm at the gym as when you focus on breathing alone your body can actually push harder than usual - something like your mind gives up before your body will and when your mind is totally controlled your body is free (wow I'm so deep). Anyway - bit of a different one for me but if you're interested in this sort of thing it's a great read, it's not overly preachy (it is written by a Buddhist monk) and is quite a refreshing change from the usual fantasy/autobiographical/thriller novels that are so popular (and what I usually read).

EAT. Blueberries. I can't get enough of these things and I get through a punnet every day. They're so good for you, make me feel really healthy (especially when I have them with a cup of green tea every morning at work) and now it's finally warm and sunny taste fantastic. I consume these year round - in winter I just substitute for frozen ones in smoothies (which, to be fair, I have every day in summer as well...). You can see one of my smoothie recipes here.

LISTEN. I've been a bit all over the place with my music at the moment but recently I've been listening to Lana Del Reys Born To Die quite often - in particular Burning Desire, Blue Jeans and Without You. If I'm feeling like a soppy bitch she's amazing - her voice is one that literally gives me goosebumps and I love listening to her on long drives home when I've been out. Otherwise my favourite song is actually I Need Your Love - been around a while but I feel like I'm only just appreciating it now and it's one of those ones that somehow sounds better with summer weather...does anyone else know what I mean by that?

DO. A big skincare binge. Post-new years I abused my skin a bit with too many drinks and too much sun. My poor face was an unhappy mess so I've had a makeup free week (shock horror, mascara and filled in brows only). And have been slathering my face in oils and creams and it's looking far better. Naturally in the kiwi sun skin damage is pretty likely, I've already got a handful of new freckles gracing my cheeks and nose. I've just purchased this gorgeous Mecca Skincare SPF lotion - it's gorgeous and light and creates a physical barrier with titanium dioxide rather than chemical. For sensitive faces I think it'll be a dream - part of the reason my face reacted so badly last time I think is it doesn't like sunscreen chemicals. I'll let you know how it fares when I take it for a test drive! I think an updated skincare routine may well be in order soon as I've added a few little gems to my arsenal. Today I picked up an utterly edible smelling facemask from Lush for free (gotta love dat black pot policy) - Oatifix to hydrate and soothe it further. I'm also treating my hair with a hair oil as I type - perhaps a summer hair care post is overdue as well?

I've got three new books on their way in the post as we speak so no doubt there'll be another post of this nature soon. What's the preference? I feel like I like doing these posts more than conventional "what I did this weekend" posts personally.

Claire x
SHARE:

2 comments:

  1. Love Lana! Have you heard her new single Big Eyes?

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to for so long and literally just did today - she's so amazing with movie soundtracks eeek x

      Delete

A pipdig Blogger Template